forum.nofna.com
September 23, 2017, 10:56:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The usage of "people"  (Read 3138 times)
Anthem
« on: June 30, 2008, 01:35:12 PM »

I hope I'm not retreading old ground here. I love this comic dearly, but one thing that has always bugged me a little was the apparently casual usage of the word "people." The term always seemed to be synonymous with "human being" to me, despite there being other definitions that choose the broader meaning of "any individual being."

I'm bringing it up now because Polarizing's recent "Have you heard the theory that people were once all vacuous? Our people." made me falter a bit. It's strange, because I'm fine when I see the cast of NofNA talk about permits or have a structured court system or other things. I know I'm being silly. I know Polarizing's just using "people" to refer to fellow non-human animals in the same way we humans would use "people" to refer to fellow humans. I know, I know, I know. XD

Still, does the word jump out at anyone else, or is it easy for you to accept that in this comic, "people" and "person" are not exclusively human terms?
Stella

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 02:10:39 PM »

Technically it's a translation from the animal language of the word they use to refer to themselves.  If people and person are the easiest English words for translation I'm cool with that.

How ever I don't actually have a problem in the first place.  This is a society, these animals have complex personalities, ethics and law.  It's a culture.  They seem pretty much like people to me.  I mean, what separates humans from animals is higher level thinking but in the NofNA world they have the HALO brain for that.  I don't see why people isn't a proper term.
Anthem
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 04:11:01 PM »

Technically it's a translation from the animal language of the word they use to refer to themselves.

Ah, see, I didn't even think of that. XD
Strokend

Run away!

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 12:16:28 PM »

To me, 'people' and 'person' simply refer to (a) being(s) capable of complex thought, allowing them to be 'aware.' This made it easy for me to 'grasp' the usage of the word in NofNA.

In our world, for the most part, only humans are capable of such a feat. The exceptions are mainly monkeys, especially chimpanzees.

Yes, I am yugyna.
---------
In a silly conversation, my sister asked, "Why do guys have to learn to put the toilet seat down? Why can't we just learn to put it up?"
I replied, "Because sometimes we have to sit down, too."
Randomcuriosity

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 05:27:38 PM »

Has anyone here ever read Tailchaser's Song, written by Tad William? Great book. It follows the lives of various cats as they search for friendship and answers. It is slightly like Nofna, the only difference being predators still eat prey, even if they can talk.

Anyways, in the book, the cats refer to themselves as the "Folk". Maybe that couldbe like NOFNA's "the People", refering to Animals.

Marquee........
Stella

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 02:50:57 AM »

Haha, yes, good book indeed!  This was one of the first things that I thought of when I read this topic. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: