forum.nofna.com
November 25, 2017, 05:44:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Trial Arc (A.K.A. You Can't Handle The Tooth!")  (Read 12575 times)
Hellsion

Live and let Die

« on: May 03, 2008, 05:15:55 AM »

and I am more than sure Meander's tooth is going to be shown as evidence.

thoughts,questions?

oh, I do love trials.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 09:16:29 AM by Hellsion » Logged

When logic and proportion
Have fallen sloppy dead
And the White Knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen's "off with her head!"
Remember what the dormouse said;
"FEED YOUR HEAD

Run away!

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 03:43:28 PM »

I like the IUPG (Innocent Until Proven Guilty) trials we have in the USA in this realm...

Yes, I am yugyna.
---------
In a silly conversation, my sister asked, "Why do guys have to learn to put the toilet seat down? Why can't we just learn to put it up?"
I replied, "Because sometimes we have to sit down, too."
Hellsion

Live and let Die

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 02:51:21 AM »

seems like a similar type of court.

dose the judge have a deep rumbling voice?

Have fallen sloppy dead
"FEED YOUR HEAD

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 04:53:59 AM »

If I really committed myself to making NofNA realistic, I think he would have this barely audible squeak that would have to be amplified using some kind of mass metanoia (like Quintet's nematocysts used on the coyotes) that bordered on telepathy. But I'm not so committed, so it's possible! Maybe that room has good acoustics.
Hellsion

Live and let Die

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 03:17:34 PM »

maybe....

(pg.162) I am coon-fused as to what Synoscope is being told to do.

Have fallen sloppy dead
"FEED YOUR HEAD

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 06:40:25 PM »

It's the heart beat reading thing he did way back in the begininning.  You know, when he measured the heartbeats it took for the animals to answer Meander's questions?
Hellsion

Live and let Die

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 04:18:27 AM »

Oooooooooh...

Have fallen sloppy dead
"FEED YOUR HEAD

trainwreck of thought

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 01:47:54 AM »

i don't know. how did he loose it? in the jaw sparing with rule or did it knock it out when he missed one of this attacks?

i am on your fourm, isn't that fantastic?
Strokend

Run away!

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 10:16:14 PM »

Actually, I think it was the other time during the fight. The part where they were hitting eachother with normal blows.

Yes, I am yugyna.
---------
In a silly conversation, my sister asked, "Why do guys have to learn to put the toilet seat down? Why can't we just learn to put it up?"
Hellsion

Live and let Die

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 02:02:17 PM »

way to lose it quintet.

Have fallen sloppy dead
"FEED YOUR HEAD

Run away!

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 03:39:19 PM »

That's just her bad attitude. People find it hard to understand that an unknown person with a bad attitude is actually a good person, even if they know others who are like that.

Yes, I am yugyna.
---------
Randomcuriosity

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 06:28:10 PM »

@ Strokend: ? Come again?
Strokend

Run away!

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 08:00:23 PM »

Quintet, like Fiat and Rule, has a bad attitude. But she's a good person. She cares about certain people, and would do just about anything for them.
Fiat is also a good person, though I haven't figured out what it is that she does that could compare to Quintet's doing just about anything for those she cares about.
Even Rule is a good person. He has a seriously harsh attitude, but he's doing what he believes will better society.

Yes, I am yugyna.
---------
Randomcuriosity

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 11:26:24 PM »

I see what you mean now. Like Rule! Rule is really... Lets just say his name is him completely. But hes doing what he believes is best also.
Strokend

Run away!

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 05:05:16 AM »

Rule doesn't rule, not intentionally atleast. He simply turns wilds into vacuous. Polarizing is the one who rules them. He gives them the whistle commands, I hadn't seen Rule whistle even once.

Yes, I am yugyna.
---------
natoon

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 10:02:04 PM »

I remember Rule whistling at some point - maybe at the auction, maybe at the cave. I remember thinking it looked kind of odd to see a wolf purse his lips ( don't think real wolves have the musculature for lip pursing). 
As for bad and good people: There's bad in the best of us, and good in the worst of us.  I would put Rule and Polarizing towards the bad end of the spectrum, but perhaps their desire to advance society, an admirable endevour, has caused them to lose their perspective - assisted by societies' "racism" and general lack of respect toward wilds.
Stella

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 01:02:38 AM »

Actually on page 35 Rule's whistling.

I've always intrepreted Rule's name to be based on his personal principles and laws, his rules, and how comitted he is to them, rather than him having control over others.  Of course I also like to think that He's Rul because he rules as in he's awesome.  It's true (to me at least).
Randomcuriosity

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 07:31:43 PM »

What I mean is that Rule commands respect, utterly and completely. Yes, Polarizing "rules" the coyotes, but who is the mastermind? Rule. Who was it who /most likely/ came up with the idea? Rule. He is mean, and maybe selfish, but he believes that he is doing the right thing all the way up to the end of his life.
natoon

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 11:56:49 PM »

I was re-reading the beginning - it's pretty obvious Rule thought of himself as especially enlightened; he had a pretty high regard of his own powers of intellect.  Anybody who did not agree with him he considered a bourgeois dunce, fated to knuckle under to the will of the "unsatisfied 10%".  Agree with his vision or not, you gotta admit he was not a niceguy.  Bunny hat nowithstanding.
Kest

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2008, 02:14:41 AM »

I never thought Rule was exactly a bad guy. I think he just saw most other members of society as complacent. I think he would respect other 'unsatisfied 10%' people like him, or people with initiative... Perhaps he believed that most 'complacent' people ought to submit to 'driven' people. Maybe he looked down on people because to him they seemed like they had no true goal or purpose, whereas he felt that he had a rather large purpose. Following this line of thinking, he would probably see Meander as a reprisentative of the 90% of society who are complacent and want things to remain the same; and by taking out Meander, he was protecting himself, as well as his fellow 'unsatisfied 10%' who want the opposite.
I always saw him as an 'ends justify the means' sort of person. o.o
natoon

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 03:45:52 AM »

Exactly.  But I think Rule took out Meander because he stopped being the complacent, okie-dokie guy once he found his purpose - to defend the right to existance of all the haloed, be they civilised or wild. His opinion of Meander does a 180 during the course of the fight - from bothersome stinging bug to He Who Must Be Stopped At All Cost.  Why?  If all Rule aspired to was the fulfillment of his goals and the advancement of society, why would equity among the haloed be such a threat he would kill himself to nip the very idea of it in the bud?
   It's obvious.  How can one haloed population enslave another if all with halos have equal rights?
   His solution to the "wild problem" was slick, simple, "sexy," and best of all, left him completely in control of the process.  He'd be like a lupine Bill Gates, if Bill Gates trafficed in zombies. 
   But his motive wasn't avarice, becausehe killed himself.  The business was just a tool to serve a much bigger ideal. What was that ideal?  Something to do with advancing society?  Yep.
   Kind of like the driven people using the complacent as grease for the wheel, in a manner of speaking, to serve the Greater Good.  The ones that can't keep up shall die away (or be halo killed, marginalized out of existance, starved to death) and leave only the fittest to continue advancing society to an ever greater level...
  Sounds like evolution, and it is. Sort of. When you engineer which populations get favored, as Rule was doing (wilds and possibly detractors get blasted, to serve the favored populus) it's "social evolution," or eugenics. It doesn't matter that the physical forms of the victims are left, to breed more to have their minds blasted away, the effect is the same as if they had been wiped out.
  Guys that sacrifice themselves for that cause are Bad Guys in my book.

Now there'sa rant for yeh.  Sorry, but when I talk about Bad Things I can't be all nice-nice.

Kest

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 06:47:28 AM »

I personally feel that Rule is a bit too complex to be labeled as a straight-up 'bad guy'. He's not like one of those grand villians who threaten to blow up the world with their fhgdsuperdeadly nuclear warhead (xD)--for one thing, I don't think he's selfish like that. I think he honestly believes that what he's doing is the 'right' thing to do.
Granted, his sense of right and wrong are horrifically skewed... o.o

He's always been my favorite character for that reason--'cause he's not the stereotypical evil villian. He's just a person with an 'ends justify the means' attitude and strong ideals, which sadly enough lay in the entirely wrong direction.

Kind of like the driven people using the complacent as grease for the wheel, in a manner of speaking, to serve the Greater Good.  The ones that can't keep up shall die away (or be halo killed, marginalized out of existance, starved to death) and leave only the fittest to continue advancing society to an ever greater level...

You have a point there--I can definately see Rule looking at the world this way.
natoon

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 04:04:11 PM »

That is what I love about this comic.  No cardboard cutout characters. Nobody's pure, nobody's unredeemable.  Rule's selfrightgeousness and narcism kinda rubbed me the wrong way. "Hard to like," like the judge said.
Stella

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 03:17:30 AM »

Yes, Rule was definitely an antagonist, but not quite a bad guy.
natoon

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 12:50:03 AM »

Well... maybe not as bad as Keratin is shaping up to be.
"Antagonist" is a bit euphemistic. His noble ideals, rather than elevating his heartless deeds into some grey area where the ends may justify the means, made them seem even more monsterous - especially when compared to Meander's naive and trusting assumption that all haloed creatures are equal under the law.  Rule's brave new world is a very creepy place full of zombies and slaves, and the pampered overlords who have lost all connection to who they truly are.
"Antagonist" seems such an anemic description of such a character.
Hellsion

Live and let Die

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 09:15:23 AM »

LOL! true be that.

methinks keratins son(carotene?) is gonna crack.

also I renamed the topic, it seems more appropriate now. an individual thread for an individual arc, instead of the every ten pages as what I was trying to go for...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 09:17:11 AM by Hellsion » Logged

Have fallen sloppy dead
"FEED YOUR HEAD

Live and let Die

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 08:56:50 AM »

are all the high court guys rodants?

Have fallen sloppy dead
"FEED YOUR HEAD

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 10:41:04 AM »

Not necessarily; the only reason there are a lot of rodents in official positions is because they were the first species that had the ability to write. That kind of sovereignity in skill gave them power in legislative areas, which passed down through tradition.
Strokend

Run away!

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 05:25:37 PM »

Primates could write before they could!

Yes, I am yugyna.
---------
Randomcuriosity

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2008, 05:23:09 PM »

Maybe rodents are better at it. Smiley and have more concentration born of sitting still for hours, listening to predators and surviving. primates i would think would be more intrested in using their big monkey arms to build and create things, not sit and think and write.
natoon

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 05:04:44 PM »

Rodents sitting still for hours?  Unless you're talking about porcupines (who don't worry alot about predators)
they are very high energy, high metabolism, gottamovegottamove!  That's a big part of how they stay ahead of the predators.  Very alert and very fast.  Constantly eating, too.  Those guys should be gnawing on something while they're judicating to keep their brains working.

I think the rodents just wanted it it more, eh? 
Gecko

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2008, 08:11:20 AM »

I don't know.. I've got a couple of pet rats - if they aren't high energy, I don't know what is - and they can sit pretty damn still if something frightens them. It's actually pretty disconcerting when one just sits still watching you for a long time.
Randomcuriosity

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2008, 11:30:09 PM »

Thats what I mean. Rodents gotta move when they NEED to, but when their life is on the line, they will hold still.

Maybe the development of the halo brain  implemented this reaction. Maybe, because rodents are naturally good listeners, they perfectly fit the role of judge, with their good hands.
natoon

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008, 03:56:39 PM »

I'm assuming that you didn't mean that rodents sit still for "hours" listening for predators literally, and that's my point.  Even Gecko's rats don't stare at her for hours, and they have no reason not to (given she sits still and they have a full food dish and water bottle). They have to move around.  It's that high metabolism.   They gotta eat, and nature had made them relentless hunters of food.  They stop to listen, but for a split second every couple seconds.

Strokend is right about the primates.  They must've had a headstart in the dexterous paws race.
"The race does not always go to the swift, nor the prize to the victor" or something like that.
Strokend

Run away!

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 10:14:01 PM »

Basically, the Primates didn't get it because they started first, and they finished first (As soon as you got control over the opposable-thumb-paws, it's done)?

Yes, I am yugyna.
---------
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: