forum.nofna.com
December 18, 2017, 04:20:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about the world  (Read 49158 times)
Zachary Braun
(Administrator)

« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2008, 09:41:23 PM »

He will say that: but in the context of theory. No vacuous animal has ever been observed "in the wild".

Currently, I don't have plans for such an arc that showcases that level of a physical deformity. In the wild, an animal born in such a way would quickly be left to die. Our own modern society has a very strong infrastructure that is able to support such deformities. Civilized animals are somewhere in between, but their technology and societal infrastructure is still distinctly primitive.
Kaiyodei

trainwreck of thought

« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2008, 11:16:06 PM »

well there's always fan fiction/comics eh? if the writer gets your universe right.

ALSO, how do breeding based realtionships act in the world? do they work as the species still do? do cats breed as they would like ours? Quitent's father up and left, is that normal? do some help raise offspring then leave?

the animals are as ours are and adults after a first heat, and there is no qualms in, a freshly adulted elephant having a mate that is like, 20+ years older. I mean there would not be any, unless you are squicked and think of one of them as a 16 yr old human and the other a 50 year old human.

I'm rambling.
this is just revelent I guess for people who want to do fanish things.

does Kertin have a harem of hot rabbit does?

i am on your fourm, isn't that fantastic?
Strokend

Run away!

« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2008, 05:10:55 AM »

does Kertin have a harem of hot rabbit does?

I think THAT one belongs in the QAC (Questions About the Characters) thread.  Wink

Yes, I am yugyna.
---------
In a silly conversation, my sister asked, "Why do guys have to learn to put the toilet seat down? Why can't we just learn to put it up?"
I replied, "Because sometimes we have to sit down, too."
Randomcuriosity

« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2008, 07:36:33 PM »

Lol  Grin this is fun. So, all the animals in the world are halo-ed, right?
Strokend

Run away!

« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2008, 09:06:17 PM »

Unless there's a joke in there I didn't catch (I haven't played any Halo games if that's what it is), that's already been covered.

Yes, I am yugyna.
---------
In a silly conversation, my sister asked, "Why do guys have to learn to put the toilet seat down? Why can't we just learn to put it up?"
Devilchun

« Reply #95 on: July 06, 2008, 05:04:13 AM »

Uhhhm.

Back on the subject of large carnivores living in a largely vegetarian society, perhaps they might've developed a style to suppress the need for meat? If they can trick themselves into thinking they have extra limbs/are super fast/other physiological changes, could they trick themselves into thinking they're herbivorous? Anywho, just throwing about ideas. xD

I do have a main question, actually. Is it acceptable, in the world of civilized animals, to consume milk? What about to use wool, or to eat unfertilized eggs? Is it okay to eat a fertilized egg, if the parents say so (I would assume not - but you never know)? Or is there a taboo on all the above listed? On some of them?

Just curious. :3
Zachary Braun
(Administrator)

« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2008, 06:24:46 AM »

Hey Devilchun,

Some good questions. Even if the animals could convince themselves that they don't have to eat meat, could their bodies be influenced by their minds enough in order to forego such nutrients, such as the taurine cited by natoon, and iron? Could styles exist that grant new digestive powers to carnivorous stomachs? It's not set in stone yet, so creative answers could be anywhere you choose.

Your egg question is an ethical one. Could egg-laying animals happen to know which eggs are fertilized? Even so, is there a moral dilemma in eating what could have been a possible life? Like people in our society, the acquisition of milk and eggs might be dependent on the people willing to help... or perhaps some don't even care! I do know that milk is a food primarily meant for babies, and not for adult digestive tracts (homo sapiens sapiens included), but like us, it might certainly be used for food in emergencies. If I'm not mistaken, not all animals have the ability to create lactose. Another digestive problem.

Wool seems pretty plausible, since it can be sheared off with no consequences. In the summer it would even be a relief!
Strokend

Run away!

« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2008, 08:25:57 AM »

Perhaps wool can be used to cushion extremely rough ground. And I agree with Zach on the egg thing. Milk might be 'extracted' from false-(milk filling?) cases and used to put certain proteins into the 'capsules' for carnivores.

As for a style, it would be VERY tough to convince oneself that they're an herbivore when they're a carnivore (omnivores can do it a lot more easily I'm sure) for this sake, in my opinion. However, I'm sure they have the ability to convince themselves that they are omnivores, so that their digestive enzymes themselves are modified in having the ability to digest plants and meat, coupled with eating plants, meat, and capsules.

Yes, I am yugyna.
---------
Devilchun

« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2008, 03:36:16 PM »

Omnivores, yes. :3 That makes more sense - rather than tricking themselves into not needing the protein and iron and such - tricking themselves into liking their adapted diet of bugs, plants, fish, and "capsules."
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 05:43:51 AM by Devilchun » Logged
Strokend

Run away!

« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2008, 11:48:51 PM »

After all, I do believe herbivores themselves became omnivores...

Yes, I am yugyna.
---------
Deaddancecrow

« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2008, 10:28:43 PM »

Well since fish and bugs aren't "thinking" animals in this world..they could fill a predators stomach and for the minerals, they can also lick on special stones or as meander did, eat vegetables. wolves also eat mushrooms and berries, why not the other meat eaters?

You can call me DDC...
Strokend

Run away!

« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2008, 02:56:19 PM »

That's probably what they do.

Yes, I am yugyna.
---------
natoon

« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2008, 04:19:09 PM »

Because not all meat eaters are the same. Each evolved to fill their own unique niche. Some can handle other stuff. Some can't.

I have a question - why are fish excluded from halodom?  Putting the contrivance of "carnivores have to eat something aside, they do have brains. Surely many of them are as well developed neurologically as amphibians.  And some non-chordate animals have some pretty complex brains (I'm thinking octopi and such.)  I'm thinking it's more a personal decision for the eater whether the eatee is O.K. to eat (remember Meander's stopping Quintet from eating the spider, even though in the past he was a bug eater?)

And if fish are too low on the brain totem pole to have a halo, where does that leave humans?  I know Strokend has posited that humans may be too dependant on their physical brains to need a halo brain.  So, somehow this massive ubiquious effect only changed the neouro makup of the middle of the road brains?  Perhaps at one time every living thing had a halo for a while, but it kind of fizzled out on the life forms that couldn't use it or didn't need it?  That would mean there could be gaps. Certain species or even groups of individuals where it died out.  It may even indicate a "use it or lose it" phenomenon. Sorry if I'm all over the place. One question seems to uncover another.
Zachary Braun
(Administrator)

« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2008, 09:42:07 PM »

Hi natoon,

Fish do have a halo brain. Even insects have a "brain" that extends beyond the physical brain. Their carriage simply makes them seem too foreign to empathize with. For this reason, animals have fooled themselves into thinking that these strange classes are a kind of mindless, exploitable species. Perhaps by necessity.

Much as we might try to communicate with something foreign and receive no perceptible signal, such as light beyond the visible spectrum, or sound outside of a human hearing range.

In short, animal society (or at least, some animal societies) isn't "secure" enough to recognize these otherworldly animals yet.

We're going to see problems with food later on because of this. But that's in NofNA's distant future.
Kaiyodei

trainwreck of thought

« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2008, 05:46:24 PM »

well, there are always infertile eggs. some times they are laied without fertilization.

maybe someone has a job to produce feeder eggs? and because they make food eggs they get to live a special life of being feed and not forgaging?

i am on your fourm, isn't that fantastic?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: