forum.nofna.com
November 23, 2017, 08:23:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about the world  (Read 48971 times)
Strokend

Run away!

« on: March 05, 2008, 02:42:08 AM »

I've had some questions about the world of NofNA come to mind, so I decided to make this thread for such questions to be asked. (Yes, I realize I'm making many threads here, but nobody else is, so, hey, might as well be me)

A thread for questions on characters can be found here.

The glossary is up in the forums, courtesy of Zach himself.

For those wondering, and that haven't looked into the info area, the world takes place on one single continent, like Pangaea of Earth.

I've asked about the planet's name, here.

Stella brought up a question about themes in the styles, here.

A question by Deaddancecrow, - who I'll probably refer to as "DDC" - right here, about the art of styles. A small question, but a question nonetheless.

Stella returns with another question, located here, on the dietary needs of animals. Honestly, I think this is a good question. Also, a question about water mammals and their role in society.

I asked about animals' paws in the world of NofNA.

Dareon came up with a point about evolution with a different landmass, and the influence of humans in this post.

An anonymous person asked about the origin of domestic cats, here, in the quickforums.

Check out Kaiyodei's questions about synesthesa and about hybrids! Even some questions about personalities and such.

Mew breaks Kai's question streak with questions on college stuff.

Hey! I'm back with a few more questions on halos and beliefs! I even furthered my questions on halos.

Kai asked about the extended life span of animals in NofNA and the intelligence boost from the halo. Furthering his questions, he asks about regional cultures

I asked about spoken and written languages.

Kai asked a series of questions here, but I'm too lazy to list each and every individual one.

CentrauGuardian asked about humans and halo brains.

Kai asked about the existance of animals extinct to our world.

After a long bit of offered information, I actually asked a question about the discard of dead bodies of animals.

Kai asked a series of questions here.

I further asked about carnivore's eating/diet.

Sabs asked quite a bit of questions, here.

Arc asked about human items in the world of NofNA.

Random asked about the current evolutionary stage of humans, or something like that.

I asked about animal's use of the word "Anthropology."

Kai asked about psychological problems existing among animals.

I asked about the existance of hermaphrodites and morphodites in the world of NofNA.

Kai asked about the comparison of NofNA Wilds to Earth wilds.

Stella breaks the chain between Kai and myself with a question on hybrids.

Kai asks about breeding taboos, or something.

Devilchun asked about some stuff, here.

Natoon asked some more stuff here.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 11:44:21 AM by Strokend » Logged

Yes, I am yugyna.
---------
In a silly conversation, my sister asked, "Why do guys have to learn to put the toilet seat down? Why can't we just learn to put it up?"
I replied, "Because sometimes we have to sit down, too."
Strokend

Run away!

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 02:42:50 AM »

Here's a question: Is the world Earth, or a different planet altogether?

Yes, I am yugyna.
---------
In a silly conversation, my sister asked, "Why do guys have to learn to put the toilet seat down? Why can't we just learn to put it up?"
Stella

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 05:27:07 AM »

Don't apologize for threads, that's waht a forum is for!

As for whether it's Earth or not... the info section refers to the planet as Earth but says it's in a different dimense.  Whether the animals refer to the planet as earth, however, I do not know.

I have a question about styles.  I've noticed something between a coincidence and a trend.  Most of Quintet's styles are marine based (Seal, crab, etc.).  Rule's styles have been non-animal styled (Mucous, Wysteria) and a lot of Meander's styles were bug themed (Slug, centipede, spider).  Is this something that generally happens at the college?  I see it as a kind of major.  Like Quintet majors in marine styles or soemthing XD I guess it kind of makes sense to me...
Zachary Braun
(Administrator)

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 12:56:46 PM »

Stella's correct; this is merely a different realization of Earth. It's still the same third planet from the sun, just under different circumstances. Stella, I'm not sure that the animals even know what a planet is at this point in their history.

Themes in the styles are not mandated by the college, at least I don't think so, but they are primarily chosen by the animal. Much like college classes. It is easier to profess in one theme than it is to learn about a variety of disparate things and then all integrate them under the same schema. Or it may simply be a preference each animal shows. Quintet's theme was marine life indeed. Meander was "snakes, snails, and puppy dogs' tails". But I didn't have a concrete idea about Rule and Polarizing's studies. It's possible that they came from an era where specialization was not as popular or intuitive.
Deaddancecrow

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 11:11:10 PM »

Even if you had uploaded the glossary (which is btw very hard to find) http://www.nofna.com/glossary.html
I'm still not getting every stile and its purpose D:
am I stupid?

You can call me DDC...
Zachary Braun
(Administrator)

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 12:44:57 AM »

You're not stupid! I simply hadn't intended for the glossary to hold style information. It was only meant to house cultural and technical terms and parlance--key items that might help in understanding the story.

Styles are art, and their impressions are meant to be discerned by the reader. (An artistic process in and of itself.)
Stella

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 09:51:07 PM »

'Nother question!

I was just thinking about the carnivorous animals of the comic.  If the animal society views the consumption of another animal as cannibalism or a taboo then what do the carnivores eat?  Along with speech did they evolve a new kind of digestive system?  We know that eating bugs is perfectly acceptable within this society but surely bugs wouldn't be able to provide adequate sustenance for something like a lion.
Zachary Braun
(Administrator)

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 08:40:39 AM »

I agree about the inadequacy of insects alone to nourish carnivores. What allowed animals in this world to make the jump is the enforced ability to forage. We may see increased consumption of mushrooms, roots, and leafy plants here. It is not well known, but animals in our world on the verge of desperation do tend to shift their eating habits. Many carnivores will eat whatever is available, i.e. foxes, wolves, and bears foraging in the rubbish bin. In NofNA, larger carnivores may have died out or been purposefully expelled from civilized areas. (Those committed to the wild still eat meat, even though they are sentient.)

Because they seem so different, fish may also be consumed... if they can be caught! (But not in the east, where they are regarded as too similar.) There may also be a greater number of insects, in terms of variety and quantity.

They'd have to manage somehow... or else they'd starve! It's quite possible that hunger alone was a driving force for some animals to choose to stay with the wild society.

Typing the above paragraph makes me realize that a lot of prey animals probably moved to civilized society in order to seek asylum from the food chain.
Strokend

Run away!

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 10:23:06 PM »

I was thinking of asking about eating fish until I saw that part in your post. There are plants that hold the nutrients of certain meats, and to satisfy meats, other than fish, I'd assume large bugs/insects, such as a fat millipede (those things get fat!), satisfy the need for large amounts of meat. I also assume that this was the reason a lot of the animals at the auction cave (heh, auction-cave Cheesy) were surprised in a happy way when Rule & Polarizing commented on Vacuous Coyotes being legal meat?

Yes, I am yugyna.
---------
Stella

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 03:50:38 AM »

I'd been wondering about how the fish participated in society with the constrait of having to be in water at all times.  Guess they have their own society.  This of course brings up the question of marine mammals.  Seals probably don't have a problem since aren't water bound but what about whales and other cetaceans?  In one of the gallery pictures there is a dolphin so I'm assuming they aren't subject to the same views of inequality.

I need to start writing my questions down because i have so many and they come at the most inopportune moments, by the time I get back to the computer I've forgotten them!
Strokend

Run away!

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 06:43:01 PM »

At certain points in the comic, the animals' paws look similar to a primate's hand. Did they actually develope frontal-paw-hands, still have paws, or what?

Yes, I am yugyna.
---------
Zachary Braun
(Administrator)

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 03:07:03 AM »

I'm thinking it's a little half-and-half, but not overly so. Canids, felines, and other dedicated quadrupeds have normal paws and have trouble doing anything that would require hands like ours. Small rodents and primates, and primate-like animals (like the kinkajous), have more human-like hands, so they can get more "civilized" things done.

Hands are valuable in this society, so it's a possibility that mutations that made paws more like hands were desirable and the genetic holder was able to easily secure a mate and carry down such genes to the next generation. But it's a little too soon for that kind of evolution. If you've seen hand-like paws on a dedicated quadruped, I think it's more my bad technique than intention.
Dareon

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 07:35:42 AM »

One thing I wonder about is the examples of divergent evolution on this Earth.  For instance, most of the Australian mammals (at the very least) evolved differently because their landmass broke off from the main one quite early in the world's formation.  While the potential for evolution of odd animals in, say, mountain-bound inaccessible valleys is still there, I do wonder about the effect the conglomerated Gondwanaland-esque supercontinent has had on evolution.

Related is the status of humans on this Earth.  We know they've proceeded more or less in parallel with our Earth, and the background of the gallery piece "Two Moons" shows a city with what looks like a rocket gantry.  I suppose I'm wondering if they'll be making appearances later, even as background for, say, a story set in a city's alleyways.
Zachary Braun
(Administrator)

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 10:28:58 AM »

This is definitely true. In our world, if the continents had been formed differently, I think every species on the planet would have the potential to look different, all having adapted to different surroundings and different other species.

I do think I fudge NofNA a little as it is. One possible explanation, however, is the stand-in of tall mountain ranges which divided access to landmasses, especially where the continents collided with each other in the past (as in our Himalayas, where India slammed upwards into south asia). There may still be several large inland seas (I think the example at the top of page 16 may be one). We may also see some enormous cliff ranges later on. I'm getting excited imagining all the weird new, extreme wonders of the world, like perhaps a giant crater or a mountain range rivalling Olympus Mons.

Humans are indeed still the dominant force on this planet. We haven't seen any yet, just the barest influences of them (as in the picture you cite). Kind of like how animals are in the background of our world, acting invisible, if we don't think about them.
Kaiyodei

trainwreck of thought

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 11:36:49 PM »

I accidenrly made a topic about synesthesia in the nofna word's animals. if they have elaborated halo brains then i figure there are 'cases' of such, seeing how they are civilized and a show I watched said that some slight synisetiesa could of helped humans because of metaphores being a form of it, such as words being attributed to things and the likes and language.

i am on your fourm, isn't that fantastic?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: